Video shows final moments before fatal round of boxer Davey Browne

Posted by The King Slayer 1 year ago in News
Story Continues Below

Shocking video has emerged showing the flurry of punches a Sydney boxer received to the head one round before he was dealt a fatal blow. Professional boxer Davey Browne, 28, died days after he was knocked to the canvas in the final moments of a super featherweight title fight at the Ingleburn RSL in 2015. An inquest heard the boxer was likely concussed after the round 11 onslaught, and therefore lacked the ability to defend himself during the final round. The inquest was shown footage of the bout's final moments, in which Browne received a blow that led to his death. In the video, Browne squares up in front of Filipino Carlo Magali with his arms lowered. Magali takes the opportunity and jabs the defenseless Browne with his left hand. The attack appears to stun Browne, as Magali follows up immediately with a devastating right-hand punch that causes the Australian to lose his balance. Browne tumbles to the canvas while his counterpart is ordered to return to his corner. The umpire begins to give Browne an eight-count, before he regains his feet and is given the all-clear to continue fighting. He was punched again soon after and fell back into the ropes shortly before the bell rang. The inquest heard that Browne's support team was more worried about him losing than his health when he returned injured to the corner. With the result still in doubt and with only one round to go, the referee continued the fight. Browne then stepped out for the final round in a 'perilous state', neurosurgeon Professor Brian Owler told the inquest. He said Browne's haemorrhage was the result of a violent and uncontrolled head movement, sustained in the final round. 'If someone had been in a position to defend themselves, to deflect or avoid that blow, then it wouldn't have struck the head in a manner to move it so violently,' he said. Browne's brother and cornerman Tommy Browne told the Glebe Coroner's Court on Thursday that they didn't 'really think too much' about how he was feeling after the flurry of punches. 'There should have been more concern for that than getting through the 12th round,' he told the inquest. Deputy state coroner Teresa O'Sullivan will determine whether Browne should have been assessed by a doctor after the 11th round and if trainer Todd Makelim, referee Charlie Lucas or ringside doctor Lawrence Noonan should have stopped the fight. Tommy Browne said he now wished someone from the corner had thrown in the towel. One of the fight's judges, Kevin Hogan, said he's sure the referee also wishes he'd stopped it, but that it would have been difficult when Browne was close to a possible win. 'They didn't [stop] because it was at the end of the fight,' Mr Hogan, who said he thought the fight should have been stopped in the 11th round, told the inquest. Mr Hogan got the impression Mr Lucas had been close to calling it a few times. Both he and Tommy Browne said ringside doctors should have to inspect fighters more regularly. Browne's injuries were deemed unsurvivable at hospital and his family decided to turn off his life support.

Click to View or Post Comments Hide Comments