BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (CBS) – A Connecticut woman mistakenly lit a stick of dynamite instead of a candle during a power outage and suffered severe injuries Thursday night, police said.
Authorities said the “tragic accident” happened to the 30-year-old mother of two on Lindley Street after thunderstorms passed through the Bridgeport area. The family tried to go to Home Depot to buy emergency lighting, but the store was closed.
When they got back home, they went to get what they believed were candles left behind in the basement by previous residents.
“She attempted to light one of what she thought was the candle and turned out to be a quarter stick of dynamite,” police said.