In 1956, the Regents of the University of California allocated a 2.8-acre plot of land for future development into student housing, parking, and offices as part of the university's "Long Range Development Plan." At the time, public funds were lacking to buy the land, and the plan was shelved until June 1967, when the university acquired $1.3 million to acquire the land through the process of eminent domain. The radical students threatened to destroy the University if construction began on the new property. The short-term goal was to create athletic fields with student housing being a longer-range goal. Liberals, hippies, and just ordinary anarchists.
Gov. Reagan called the Berkeley campus "a haven for communist sympathizers, protesters, and sex deviants." And after protesters would not leave the State's property had the removed by force. Very unpopular with the intellectual elite, wildly with the taxpayers.